Monday, August 4, 2014

Armoring Journal: Building Better Base

So, today's adventure into the wild world of making things to keep fighters from death; building a better leg.

My current armor projects are interesting ones:

Building a breast plate for a woman with breasts to spare.

Building a new heavy list/fencing gorget for myself.

Taking the cake: Building a custom left leg for the wife, who requires specialized care to protect the IT band.

So, this is the hardest part, because it's on the side.  My first plan was to create a cuisse that is one piece.  No crease, no strapping except for comfort straps.  I'd need to take multiple measurements of her legs, make a left leg that is bent around to a circle and rivet it into permanent placement.

Downside: very hard to put on single pieces, and the IT band is only slightly more protected.

Plan II: refit current model to have a long single piece protecting the band, minor change to the bottom to allow it to bend without hitting that exact band.  That muscle does need room to flex, otherwise she'll end up losing use of the leg.  Or blood clot problems, which could result in loss of the leg itself.  This plan feels better than the single set.

Strapping: I plan to strap the wing of the knee joint to deflect away from the band, while defusing the blow as quickly and efficently as possible.  Possible padding behind the wing itself.

Padding: This is a big part, I'm going to have to rhino that leg.  I know it might be difficult for her to call blows to it, but that's a training issue.  I might make the leg larger than normal, then use a three layer padding system to it.  First is rigid material (plate), followed by a foam material, then a second foam layer of different hardness.

I'm debating on either hard then soft, for better diffusion, or soft then hard, for better oblation.  Possibly even using strips of hard cell, that stand on either side of the IT band, then a layer of soft.  What that might do, is direct pressure from blows to either side of the band, even if hit on it.  Could add strips of soft in the empty spaces to keep a solid flow to the impact.

Knee Joint:  This presents a special challenge, since I will need to make a knee that significant weight can be dropped onto it, I have a few suspension knee pads, I'm going to have her test which ones feel good for her, then I'll either copy it or incorporate that exact one.  Knee will also be strapped to take more blows than normal, since she's a lefty.

Shin: I myself prefer light shinguards, but since this leg will be an open door for her opponents, I'm going to put a standard shinguard below the knee.


... and this is just the left leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment